If you’ve ever experienced losing business over a missed phone call then you probably have an idea of just how important having an answering system (be it through voicemail or through a receptionist) in place is for any business. Whether you’re a startup or a thriving company, there’s no telling how far a missed opportunity could cost your business. With that in mind, you could consider three options to prevent future mishaps like this: hire a receptionist, set up a voicemail system or hire a virtual receptionist. Which should you choose?
Basically it is a battle of cost over benefit, as it always is for businesses and most things. A receptionist can give you the results you want but for a far greater cost than that of a voicemail system. In contrast, it’s a fact that most callers simply refuse to leave messages when they’re on voicemail. This could, in the long run, cost your company more than you initially thought you bargained for.
Getting a virtual receptionist will give you the services of an actual receptionist at the cost of a voicemail system. The better question to ask then would be: can you benefit from hiring a virtual receptionist?
To find if you can benefit from hiring a virtual receptionist, answer the questions below. Each answer carries points that you will then add up at the end of the test.
- Are you a small business? Yes +5 points, No +2 points
- Do you have a voicemail system? Yes +3 points, No +3 points
- Is your time in the office erratic? (Eg. One day you’re in the office all day; the next, you’re out, the day after the next, you’re in the office in the morning, out of it early afternoon and back again in the late hours?) Yes +5 points, No +3 points
- Have you ever missed an incoming phone call from a customer because you were busy with something else? Yes +5 points, No +0 points
- Do you think your business would benefit from having your appointments scheduled and your calendar organized for you? Yes +5 points, No +1 point, Maybe +3 points
- Do you find your work gets distracted by the phone? Always +5 points, Sometimes +3 points, No +0 points
- Have you ever lost business because you were unable to pick up the phone at that moment in time? Yes +5 points, No +2 points
- Do you have a staff or employee who can answer the phone for you? Yes +2 points No +5 points (If answer is Yes, proceed to No. 9; if No, proceed to No. 10)
- Do you find it difficult training your employees to use proper phone etiquette? Yes +3 points No +0 points.
- Do you have the budget to hire an employee to answer calls? Yes +3 points, No +5 points
How’d You Score?
- If your score is 22-40 points, you should think about a virtual receptionist service.
- If you score more than 40 points, your business would seriously benefit from the services of a virtual receptionist.